Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Happy Halloween!

luchador-lantern!
It took two hours to carve but it was well worth it!
I love carving jack-o-lanterns for Halloween.


The day after Halloween we started our White-fronted Goose (locally called the "Specklebelly" goose) survey. It is one of the longest geese survey 
in the state. Fish and Wildlife staff from all around the TX coast came to Eagle Lake to participate. Eagle Lake is a great stopping point for the geese because its abundant rice fields. The town boasts itself as the "goose hunting capital of the world" and now I can finally see why. Early Wednesday morning we saw thousands of geese fly into cut fields. Our task was to identify and count juvenile and adult WFG. Adults can be easily identified by the black barring on its belly, juveniles do not have this. Its best to count them as they land. We counted 969 adults and juveniles within a 2 hr span at our area. There were probably 10,000(!) in our area alone. Thousands of ibises and blackbirds filled the skies as well. It was the first large avian migration that I've witnessed and it was awesome!




1 comment:

  1. scary looking pumpkin you got there.the geese looked awesome! that reminds me of when one time i was at H.E.B and there were like 100's of birds just sitting there.until they all came flying out.they were everywhere!I thought they were going to poop on me(don't want that to happen,and i am glad they didn't).:P
    your cuz,
    ~Kaira

    ReplyDelete