Saturday, March 31, 2012

Things I miss about APCNWR

Sorry everybody! I've been extremely busy in the last month with my new job and I did not have enough time to update this blog or complete my 'Things I'll miss list'. I do not have enough time to elaborate on this but I going to go ahead and complete my countdown- superfast!

6. Made me appreciate friends and family at home more.
I went through lots of tough trials and due to the distances, I learned to appreciate my friends and family much more when I was gone. The drive to Austin was only a couple of hours but it seemed like eternity when I was anxious to see the people that I loved. 

5. Working on 10,500 acres of untouched, native Texas coastal prairie.
Some estimates say that there are less then 1% of native prairie left in the entire United States. Most have been converted to farmland or cattle country. The refuge is surrounded all around by rice field and cattle pastures- the fact that there is a refuge that exists in the middle of all of a human-dominated landscape is amazing.

4. Living by myself.
It was first very hard to get used to but towards the end, I enjoyed all of the private times and introspective opportunities I had with myself.I learned how to cook meals, do laundry, had reading marathons with no one to bother me and became my own best friend. Living by myself allowed me to do things at my own place and made me a more independent person.

3. Diversity of Wildlife/Plants.
From the rare Wright's lily to peregrine falcons and prairie chickens, there are lots of different species of plants and animals that call this refuge home. I enjoyed all of the beautiful photographs, the nature hikes and all of the times I spent exploring and taking the time to look at these organisms.

2. Prairie Chickens
Of course, they would be on my list. I couldn't help but fall in love with these awesome birds. They quickly became my favorite animals and made me realize that I want to dedicate my life to conservation and helping endangered species.


1. My refuge co-workers/friends
I always feel so lucky that I always get the opportunity to meet such great people working. I met some of the best people working here, they are all very passionate about the work and what they do. I felt like I was hanging out and joking around with friends all day. I will always miss my fellow interns and co-workers- my year at the Attwaters Prairie Chicken National Wildlife Refuge wouldn't've been the same without them.


No comments:

Post a Comment