I am not a person that can usually deal with cold
temperatures. I'm from Texas, its hot there. I can always enjoy an ice-cold beer or ice cream but that’s
probably where my affection ends. Working all night during the coldest part of
the day and then returning to my tent I am slowly being conditioned to deal with it, with minimal complaining. Temperatures the past couple of weeks have been hovering around
15-30 degrees. My field crew and I actually look forward to the 30 degree
temperatures now.
Here are some examples of how cold it is:
-I can see ice crystals forming in my water
bottle in real time.
· - My skin and hands are permanently ashy and
cracked. My lips are crazy chapped.
· - Hiking in snow flurries. (Yes, it’s been done
several times already. It sucks walking against the wind and being pelted in
the face with frozen precip, wish I had a formidable beard for face
protection.)
· - Frozen foods: lettuce, milk, coffee, eggs, fruit
and condiments. (I had to keep my mustard bottle in my pocket to thaw it out
before eating hot dogs.)
· - Layers. When going out to trap at night I
essentially double in size due to the amount of cold weather clothes that I am
wearing. This is a new record for me. At night I typically wear: two pairs of
thick wool socks; bottom: thermal pants, sweat pants, field pants, sometimes
rain pants; top: thermal shirt or long johns, long sleeve, soft shell jacket,
hoodie, fleece, thick winter jacket; head: my Sherpa hat, a scarf, jacket hats;
and a pair of gloves.
· -
Baby wipes- which I use for wiping my hands and
‘camp showering’ comes out in frozen strips.
· - Patches of snow still on the ground on hillsides
and under trees, weeks after the last snowfall. When it does melt, everything
gets muddy.
· - My socks get wet. And sometimes they start to stink.
But it all makes up for it when you get to build an awesome 6 foot tall SNOWMAN!
| Frozen campsite |
| My tent on the right, covered in snow! |
| He was definitely taller than me |
| Explored an old house in the snow |
| All smiles even despite the cold temps |
| Alas, all good things must end |
That's craziness! Must be a pain to go to the restroom with all those layers on.
ReplyDeletefrozen butt
ReplyDeleteI love that snowman. Must've taken a long time to build it. I miss making one of those. As you might know, we don't get a lot of snow here in Texas. The last one I made was 3 feet tall and had golf balls as eyes. He eventually ended up in the refrigerator a week later. :) looking forward for some new photos!
ReplyDeleteKaira