Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top 10 things I will miss

Today I completed my wildfire pack test! I walked with a 25lb pack for 2 miles in 30 minutes (no running allowed, it was much harder than it sounds). This completes my requirement for my wildfire red card- making me eligible to participate in prescribed burning with a fire crew. Since we are planning on burning a couple of pastures here at the refuge this winter, I have received my fire gear and can now help burn.

#8. The peace and quiet

Being from the capital city I am more than familiar with the hustle and bustle of city life. A year out here with its simplicity, while haunting at first quickly became my escape. I routinely left my bedroom window open and grew accustomed to the sounds of birds chirping in the morning and coyotes howling in the evening. I retreated deep into the prairie where the sounds of traffic faded away. There I was able to find quite and comfortable spots- an iron bridge by the creek, a 20ft tall dirt pile or under a large tree on the abandoned river road to do some meditation. During a year sprinkled with some heartache and homesickness, nothing was more therapeutic than closing my eyes, breathing slowly and using that time for mindfulness and introspection.





1 comment:

  1. hi tam!how come you didn't tell anybody about this blog(well ,not that i know of)?!anyways,wow so relaxing there! I wish i can be there just to chill out instead of doing my homework and essays at home.have fun!
    your cuz,
    ~Kaira:)

    ReplyDelete