| Sunset at the Virginia Mountains field site |
Hi Everybody! I am currently out in East Nevada near a small
town called Ely trapping greater sage-grouse. The week previously I was at our
Virginia Mountains field site north of Reno, NV doing orientation and training.
There I learned how to spotlight and net sage-grouse at night, how to place
radio collars on their necks and take measurements and blood samples. We used
ring-necked pheasants to practice on (which we later ate- they were delicious).
I also renewed my first aid and CPR training and some general safety protocols,
learned how to change a flat tire, tow a stuck truck and got to learn more
about the people and animals that I would be working with for the next couple
of months. Everybody here is great. It was nice to get to know new people, learn
about their past experiences and talk about birds! We got to our trapping field
site on Monday and went out on a practice run that night. We successfully
caught an adult male who was roosting around a lekking site at around 1am. I
held him while Melanie, the crew lead collared and took his measurements. The
grouse was huge! Much larger than the prairie chickens that I have previously
worked with and the pheasants that we have practiced on. He was a feisty guy
who fought to get loose but I was able to hold him tight throughout all of the
measurements and blood letting. We eventually finished up and let him go around
2:30am. We will be going out again these other following nights from about 10pm
to 4am. I will be on a nocturnal sleeping schedule.
For all of y’all trying to reach me, the phone and wireless
service here at the SWIP field site is almost nonexistent. I will have time
where I will be going into or near town to check my email, text messages and update this blog so if
you need to reach me please do that there and realize that it will take me a
while to get back to you. I hope everyone is well. I’ll post again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment