I left Austin, TX on March 8th to drive to Reno,
NV then to the Virginia Mountains field
station near Doyle, CA for my sage-grouse orientation and training. The journey was slightly more
than 2,100 miles and took about three days of constant driving. To break up the
monotony of the open road I planned several stops along the way to visit
several landmarks and parks.
On the first day I took a detour near Balmorhea to stop by
the McDonalds Observatory. I had also wanted to visit the state park and see
the Balmorhea spring but was constrained by time and opted to see the
telescopes instead, perhaps I’ll have time on the return trip. The McDonalds
observatory is located on the Davis Mountain ranges in West Texas. I enjoyed
looking at the peaks and valleys of west Texas as I drove through, it’s much
different from the flat plains of east Texas which I have been accustomed to.
Sadly, I missed the last tour of the Observatory but I did the self-guided tour
around the visitor’s center and checked out the 5th largest
telescope in the world. The beautiful landscape and the impressive telescope
around the area made the two hour long detour entirely worth it. (Uncle Tee if
you are reading this, I totally want to visit you at the Hawaii Observatory
soon now!)
 |
| Mesas |
 |
| Telescope lens |
 |
| Fifth largest telescope in the world |
After spending the night in Las Cruces, NM I took off early
that morning to visit White Sands National Monument towards Alamogordo. Due to
its location near the White Sands missile testing range I checked the park
website early that morning to make sure that the park was open that weekend. I arrived
at the park early and was unable to rent a sled to ride down the sand dunes instead I decided hike up and run down some of the larger white sand dunes which
was probably just as fun. It was against park rules to collect any of the white gypsum sand but I consider the sands in my socks and shoes were negligible.
 |
| Grassland/ sand dunes |
 |
| Beautiful dunes |
 |
| Perhaps a knit fox path |
 |
| Yucca |
Afterwards I made an unplanned stop at Valley of Fires
recreation area to check out some prehistoric lava flows. Because I was running
behind on my driving schedule I had to run down the switchbacks to get to the
lava rocks, took some quick pictures and chit chatted with a old lady about
birds before leaving. I really wanted to stay longer and walk some of the
trails. The park looked awesome! Who would’ve thought there would be lava flows
in NM?! I definitely want to go back and check out this little treasure.
 |
| It was a very large park |
cont.
Wow. Your trip started out great! There are several parks and nature stops located in the area aren't there? You must love it in NV. Good luck with everything! Looking forward to some new photos!
ReplyDeleteKaira