Thursday, May 23, 2013

Snakes!

The weather is finally warming up here in the sage-brush steppes and that means that the reptiles are finally coming out of hibernation. I have noticed a lot more snakes basking themselves on the gravel roads and have taken the opportunity to run out and try to catch them, Steve Irwin-style. I've had doubts about grabbing them but after some practice and confidence I can handle them safely now. The only venomous snake in Nevada are the Great Basin rattlesnakes. I have not encountered a live rattlesnakes but my co-workers have. I have been taking precautions for this by watching where I step and not listening to music when I am out hiking- just so I can hear their warning rattle.

roadkill rattler

So I took his tail. Judging by the number of buttons, it was a juvenile.

Great Basin Gopher Snake, or Bullsnake

I got him by the tail!

Got him! It was at least 3.5ft long

Beautiful patterns

circular eyes, oval head= non-venomous


Unknown snake on the road, I was too slow to catch. 

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!! So many snakes! Bear Grylls would've been proud to make that catch. What did you do with the snakes that you caught?! Eat them? Capture them? Keep them as a pet? Ughhhh..... I cannot imagine having a snake as a pet. They bug me. But I have held a big snake around my neck. Scary, but cool. :)

    - Kaira

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats one BIG snake! be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for the bird cards! The mallard is very detailed on the front. Actually, I haven't started summer yet. I get out tomorrow. Yes we did get a new dog. She's a long haired dachshund and her name is lady, from lady and the tramp. Rocky is kinda jealous. They've been playing a lot. My dad says that we're going to either south padre or port Aransas around mid August.

    Kaira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday tam! Mimi told me you got he day off yesterday. Enjoy your day!

    Kaira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Update your blog. We want to see more beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete